Do you inspect the condition of your electrical system on a regular basis? In case it has been a while, now it is the right time to do some inspection. It is not a good idea to just assume that your electrical components such as explosion-proof enclosures and electrical cables are just fine as they have a tendency to tear and wear after a couple of years. In case you are living in an old house or in case your current system.
How to upgrade your electrical system?
- Start with upgrading your panel so as to bring in more power from the electrical supply to your home. You are able to replace the existing meter as well as the circuit breakers so as to enable it to handle more power. Or you can replace the entire electrical panel or circuit breakers which are entirely damaged posing extreme dangers. Upgrading your electrical systems makes your system have more power to supply in your home without posing any effect to your home wiring.
- The second measure is adding extra circuits that can allow the distribution of power to your appliances as well as rooms.
- Upgrading your system might also involve adding new electrical outlets as well as replacing all used cables, receptacles as well as the old cable wires.
What are the risks posed by a malfunctioning electrical system
There are different numbers of reasons that lead an old, malfunctioning, or faulty wiring to pose a huge problem. Some of them include:
- An outdated electrical system generates a fire hazard, hence putting you as well as your beloved ones at risk. One of the major sources of a house fire is faulty wiring. As the wiring turns out heated or exposed, or in case there is a generation of sparks, the material around it can get ignited leading to fire outbreaks.
- There is a high risk of electrocution. As soon as the wiring ages and there are signs of tear and wear, then the transfer of electrical current will be poor. The insulation might contain holes and this will pose a serious risk of electrocution.
- The electrical appliances’ lifespan will be shortened as the damaged wiring will not be able to handle the power safely, as it used to hence it might run short your appliances. Besides, the faulty wiring as well as the electrical system might not be able to handle modern appliances like dishwashers, washing machines, microwaves, etc. hence leading them to wear out so quickly.
The overall home’s energy efficiency will drop so much, and you will notice this in your electric bills despite your appliances being damaged.
Signs that indicate your electrical panel has to be updated
In case you notice one of the following signs, then you have to know that your electrical system needs to be upgraded:
- Frequent tripping of the breakers
- Frequent blowing of fuses
- Constant dimming or flickering of lights
- Sparkling, discolored or warm outlets
- The persistent burning odor from an appliance or room
- Existence of two-prong ungrounded outlets via the house
- Absence of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in different rooms as well as areas that are exposed to moisture such as baths and kitchens.
Seek help from a licensed experienced professional
In case you are an experienced electrician and you can handle upgrading your panel on your own, then do it. But if you have no experience with handling electrical appliances, we do not recommend following a DIY path. It is in your best interest if you find a professional and let them handle the problem. Never risk your life by trying to it on your own as you might end up losing your life.
One of the important things that come with updating your electrical system, is that your home as well as family will be safe from fire hazards which are normally caused by circuit overloads. Besides, all your modern appliances will be safe and secured from any inefficient power distribution as well as other problems that are caused by aged electrical systems.
In case you are looking for high-quality cables, panels, outlets, switches, or construction electrical materials, just contact us. We offer different varieties of power cables as well as other types of components that will ensure your system upgrades.